Helping children (and their parents) prepare for a new future
Certain times of the year can add extra strain on families struggling to lead violence-free lives. One such time is when kids go back-to-school. Compounded by the violence they have suffered, issues of homelessness and lack of resources, it can be exceedingly difficult for a parent to provide all the necessary school supplies for his or her children.
There are a number of ways you can help provide for our students. Host a school supply drive in your workplace, amongst your friends, at your church, or simply gather some of the items yourself. We hope that this type of drive is a fun and meaningful way to ensure that children in grades K-12 get the fresh start that they need to succeed in their education.
Below is a list of general school supplies that we are in need of for the children staying with us.
General School Supply List
- Notebook paper
- Ballpoint pens, blue/black
- Spiral notebooks
- Construction paper
- Supply box
- Jump ropes
- Hula hoops
- Pencils, No. 2
- Pencils, red lead
- Ruler, metric & imperial
- Colored pencils
- Computer paper
- Glue, white liquid
- Playground balls
How To Donate
- Gather some supplies - organize a drive at work, church, among friends, or just do a little shopping
- Let Steven Olender know how you plan to help
- Bring your donations to our Donations Warehouse at 1515 Grove Blvd, Austin, TX 78741 during donation hours (Tuesday-Friday 10am-3pm; Wednesday 10am-6pm)
- Fill out a donation receipt for your records
- Visit our Walmart wishlist
- Select the items you'd like to donate - feel free to browse around for any current deals you can find as well
- Proceed through check out and have the items shipped to ATTN: Steven Olender, SafePlace, 1515 Grove Blvd, Austin, TX 78741
- Contact Steven Olender for a donation receipt
We hope to have our Gil Crane warehouse full of school supplies by August 6, 2012. We will be happy to accept supplies after this date also. With your help, we can ensure that our children are prepared and start the school year out right!
For more information, please email Steven Olender, In-Kind Coordinator for SafePlace.