Legally, a person commits a sexual offense if the person intentionally or knowingly causes the penetration of the mouth, anus or sexual organs of another person by any means, without that person’s consent.
Here at SafePlace, we use a broader definition to include any unwanted sexual act when the victim is unwilling or unable to give consent – including being under 17 years old, disabled, intoxicated, drugged or unconscious. If you have been sexually assaulted and need help, call our 24-hour hotline or access the I Need Help section of the website.
The number of rapes and sexual assaults are staggering.
- Every day two people report being raped or sexually assaulted in Austin.
- 90% of Travis County sexual assault survivors knew the person who assaulted them.
- 13% of all rapes are against men.
- One in eight adult women in Texas has been raped sometime in her life.
- Every 5.7 minutes someone is raped in the United States.
- 11.7 million women and 2.1 million men have been forced to have sex during their lifetime.
- Only 20% of rape survivors actually report the rape. This means if 100 rapes are reported to police, another 400 women, children or men did not report the crime.
Survivors can reach out to the SafePlace hotline 512.267.Safe (7233) to get information and guidance regarding whether or not to report the rape to police. If you have just been raped and choose to go to the hospital, our Hospital Accompaniment services may assist you in the emergency room.
Acquaintance rape occurs when a date, friend, co-worker, teacher, neighbor or someone known by the victim uses physical force, threats, intimidation or drugs /alcohol to force sex.
Young people may be at higher risk of acquaintance rape. As they are learning about relationships and testing or creating boundaries for themselves, they may be hesitant to say “no” or to fight back. They may also feel it is their fault for “getting themselves” in the situation. However, everyone who has experienced acquaintance rape can be supported through the SafePlace hotline or counseling.
Male rape is vastly misunderstood and under reported. Thousands of men are sexually assaulted every year. SafePlace offers all programs and services to male survivors, without discrimination. We have a specific counseling group for male survivors of both sexual assault and domestic violence. Call our 24-hour hotline for details.
Child Sexual Abuse
Child sexual abuse is not only physical contact between an adult and child, it also includes exposure, voyeurism, masturbation and child pornography. It is also child sexual abuse when an abuser uses imbalance in age, size, knowledge or emotional power to force a child to engage in sexual contact with the child’s peers.